It took me almost 5 hours to complete this relatively simple elastic waist skirt, mostly because I’m horrible at sewing; I’m impatient and make a lot of mistakes as a result. But it’s finished! And I think I’ll actually wear it.
When I saw this fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics, I recalled American Apparel’s version. Although this velvet isn’t as thick or supple, it still has a nice texture. (P.S. I have some velvet pieces for sale at Water Lily Thrift if you’d rather buy than make a piece for yourself.)
I didn’t follow a pattern. I purchased a yard of fabric (which I had to cut down by about a quarter or a third yard to keep the elastic waist from getting too thick), cropped it to hit at mid-thigh, and sewed a casing for the elastic. I had major trouble with the elastic waist because the knit elastic I purchased kept folding over inside the casing; I recommend buying woven elastic, as it’s a bit sturdier. I used a safety pin fastened to the end of the elastic to push it through the casing.
I left the hem unfinished, as the fabric curls under naturally, but I may finish it off when I get the energy to work on it again.
The total cost for this project was about $10.00. Not super cheap but less than American Apparel’s $38.00 price tag.
Sources: American Apparel skirt, Outfit
The craft room has technically been as finished as it’s going to get for at least a month, but I’ve been so busy stocking my shop and sewing that it’s always a mess. I cleaned it up just for this home tour.
This is the space that’s solely mine in the house. I gave Daniel a lovely “library,” but he only goes in it to chill with our pet rats. At least I tried.
Vintage and supplies
Sleeping at Last album art, crafts books, supplies, vintage to be altered
I repainted the edges of this desk that we picked up at the local Habitat Restore to give it a clean finish. I bought the shelf at the Good Cents store in Tallahassee and gave it several coats of semigloss black paint.
Wedding photo transferred onto canvas, engagement photo canvas DIY, wedding photo in thrifted frame
I picked up the old window frame above outside an art studio at Railroad Square in Tallahassee during a portrait session. I added some covered cork board to two of the holes with patience and a staple gun. I’m not sure if this is the finished look or not, but I’m good with it for the time being.
These curtains were a thrifted find. I initially planned to make a crazy skirt out of the fabric, but, in the end, they got to fulfill their intended use. They’re a bit childish, but they work in this room.
Edit 10/1: Perfect timing! ModCloth just announced their “Awe & Order” contest, highlighting the efforts of fans with great organizational skillz. If you like this room, please vote for my entry here! Thanks.